Monday, February 25, 2013

Month of Low Art Photography



This is the time of year for the two big toy camera shows--one on the east coast the other in the west.  Rayko Photo Center in San Francisco hosts the 6th Annual International Plastic Camera Show.  Last year I was fortunate to be the featured photographer there.  The show runs from March 6th to April 22nd.  Featured photographer this year is the ever clever Thomas Michael Alleman.  Opening reception is the evening of March 6th.  

The east coast toy camera event of the year is Soho Photo Gallery's Krappy Kamera show in New York City.  This year's show marks the 15th year of showing inspiring work from humble tools.  I look forward to seeing the show in person for the first time and meeting lots of fellow low art enthusiasts.

After having had the pleasure of showing work at Krappy Kamera for the past several years I now have the opportunity of showing a selection of my toy camera panoramas.  Using the trusty Holga I've been somehow able to take multiple exposures that have the effect of disassembling a scene and putting it back together in the wrong order.  I use the word 'somehow' because there is little in the way of preconception that can be done.  Either magic happens or it doesn't.  I don't pretend to understand how these came into being.  I call them Polymorphic Panoramas.

The 15th International Krappy Kamera Competition as well, as a show featuring the 20th Annual Soho Photo Member Krappy Kamera exhibition, and the show I've organized will be opening on Tuesday March 5th, from 6-8pm at the Soho Photo Gallery, 15 White Street, New York City.  It runs until March 30th.

No comments: